Help......I need a new smoker !!

Started by smokey, March 06, 2005, 08:20:15 PM

smokey

Any recommendations on smokers?  I like to smoke ribs, chicken, pork butts, brisket.  In the past I used a New Braunfels smoker with the offset wood box.  It was difficult to maintain an even temp especially with varying weather conditions.

I  really want something that will regulate/maintain the temperature on its own eg., gas or electric but still provide the real deal by using some amount of wood for flavoring

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Smokey

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

DKM

I love my New Braunfels smoker, but my sanity if often questioned.

Steve seems to have a pretty good electic smoker, check some of the older post.

DKM
Just how many boards can I be on anyways.

Jim Malter

Hi All-

I am a newbie here but I have been very happy with a Kamado. It is a ceramic cooker with tremendous heat and moisture retention. It keeps very consistent temp and smokes extremely well. It is costly but should last forever. If you are interested, check out Kamado.com

Jim

DKM

Quote from: Jim Malter on March 06, 2005, 10:07:54 PM
Hi All-

I am a newbie here but I have been very happy with a Kamado. It is a ceramic cooker with tremendous heat and moisture retention. It keeps very consistent temp and smokes extremely well. It is costly but should last forever. If you are interested, check out Kamado.com

Jim

Ever watch the show Good Eats on the Foodnetwork?

DKM

RibRubber

Good luck, I'm in the same phase as you, needing a new one, but can't decide. Leaning towards the Cookshack, but can't pull the trigger.

Steve

I own a Cookshack (Smokette 009) and it's a great little unit. Literally "Plug and Play"... plug it in, close the door, and out comes great tasting Q. My only complaint is that it's a little too small, there's no water pan, and I hate the temperature swings of the electric thermostat. But, if you forget about the unit and let it do its job, it produces wonderful Q.

LeeB

If you want a top of the line smoker check out Pitts and Spitts out of Houston.  Not cheap, made out of stainless steel.

www.pittsandspitts.com

smokey

Steve, I like the thought of the Cookshack system.  What happens to the fat/grease in the Cookshack?  Does is just fall to the bottom on some foil and/or through a hole?

Also, will the 009 perform when its 20-30 degrees outside?  What is the range of temp settings?
If you smoke 2 pork butts how many times will you have to add wood?

Thanks,

Smokey

Steve

Quote from: smokey on March 10, 2005, 12:15:02 PM
Steve, I like the thought of the Cookshack system.  What happens to the fat/grease in the Cookshack?  Does is just fall to the bottom on some foil and/or through a hole?

Also, will the 009 perform when its 20-30 degrees outside?  What is the range of temp settings?
If you smoke 2 pork butts how many times will you have to add wood?

Yes, the fat drips down to the bottom then through an exit hole in the floor (I use a bowl to capture it).

I personally have operated my 009 when it was very cold outside, in the teens, without any problems. The thing is super insulated.

The temperature range of the unit (thermostat) is from 100 degrees F. to 250 degrees F.

And, last but not least, you only add the wood once... when you put the meat inside. After that, you just sit back and let'er rip!

smokey

Thanks Steve.  Does the grease drip onto the box containing the wood?  Also, are there any similar type units that I should consider?

Regards,

Smokey

Steve

Yes, it drips on the box containing the wood. But the wood container has a gabled roof type design so it doesn't pool. I usually cover the top of the wood box and the oven floor with aluminum foil which affords a quick cleanup.

Look at this thread for a good photo of the Smokette 009.
http://www.pitcooking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3.0.html

smokey

Thanks Steve. Much more traffic on Pizza site....is this site more seasonal in nature and in traffic ?

Smokey

DKM

This site is like the pizza site use to be.  But over time it took off.  Just need more people to post here.

One of the plusses to pizza is it is easy to make any time and normally last one or two meals.  Q on the over hand can last for days.

DKM

smokey

Thanks DKM.  Any recommendation on smokers...I like the idea of the Cookshack system...

Smokey

DKM

I'm old school myself.  I like learning to control the fire and the blendings of wood and lump charcole.

So I like anything with a offset fire box.

Otherwise I'd go with the Cookshack as it seems to give good control.

DKM