Coleslaw

Started by Steve, April 13, 2004, 01:39:26 PM

Steve

Here's my tried-and-true coleslaw recipe. Everyone who tries it says it's the best!

1 head cabbage
1/2 carrot
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise (Hellman's recommended)
1/4 cup sugar; heaping
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 pinch celery seed

Mix mayo, sugar, vinegar, and celery seed in a bowl. Set aside. Shred the cabbage (I use the coarse cheese shredder attachment on my Kitchenaid mixer or food processor). Finely shred the carrot and mix with the cabbage. Add the mayo mixture and mix well with a large spoon. Cover and refrigerate for 4 or more hours.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

JameZ

Sounds good...thanks for the recipe.

Keep on Smokin'

JameZ

Doc Smith

I'm looking for a recipe for "Barbecued Cole Slaw".  It is not like regular cole slaw.  I have had it a few times and I always forget to get the recipe.  It is made with only the white part of the cabbage and is very crunchy. The cabbage is finely chopped and the dressing is very thin and spicy - almost like straight Texas Pete, Chrystal, or Louisiana Hot Sauce.  Any info would be much appreciated.

Doc

Steve

Here's the original recipe (from Thrill of the Grill) of the coleslaw that I make (above). I had adjusted it slightly in my original post, but lately I've gone back to the original. Both are very good.

1 1/2 Cups mayonnaise
1/2 Cup white vinegar
1/3 Cup sugar
1 Tablespoon celery seed
1 Head green cabbage -- finely shredded
2 carrots -- finely grated
salt and pepper -- to taste

I use the coarse cheese shredder attachment on my stand mixer to shred the cabbage. Mix the mayo, vinegar, sugar, celery seed, salt, and pepper in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Shred the cabbage and carrots, mix in the slaw sauce. Must be refrigerated for several hours (or overnight preferred).

Steve

Here's the shredder attachment that I use (far-right shredding cone in the image), it works great. Impossible to get this type of consistency by hand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SGFP/?tag=pitcook-20

Steve

Actually, I discovered that it's faster (and easier) to shred/chop the cabbage in a food processor with the regular steel blade. Quarter the head of cabbage and process it in four batches to get it even (If you try to do too much at a time, the cabbage hangs up and won't circulate through the chopping process).

A D V E R T I S E M E N T