Gas Smokers?

Started by mcooknoe, June 26, 2005, 11:14:17 AM

mcooknoe

Hello all.... I am somewhat new to smoking. I have cooked a lot of Butts in the crockpot and smoked some butts on a barrel charcol grill with indirect heat. I am interested in purchasing a smoker and researched a lot of different types and brands.

I am curious as to why more people do not use a gas smoker. As with an electric, it seems to me that it would be much easier to maintain an even heat.  You still have the ability to use wood or wood chips.

I also like camping and like the portability of a gas smoker. The only draw back as I see it is capacity.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Randy

The heat source in a chip type smoker makes no difference.  Keep in mind that many barbecue places have switched to gas assisted smokers and pits.
But I would suggest a Weber Smokey Mountain.  This bullet shaped smoker has won its share of butt and rib contest.  At around $200 they are pricey but they are very well made and of much thicker steel than the bullets in Walmart or Home depot. 
Here is a site dedicated to its use.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/
If you don't go to a wood burner this is what I would recommend.
Hope this helps.
Randy

mcooknoe

Thank you Randy... That is one of the models I was considering. I had seen this in a previous post and researched it. Funny thing last night I was talking with a friend who knew someone with an old bullet style gas Coleman smoker that was free. Marinated the butt last night, made some modifications to the smoker and am in the process of cooking up some Q at this very moment.

Thanks again my friend

Randy

Free is doggone hard to beat.

Randy

DKM

I like free  ;)

BTW the reason I don't use gas or electric is because to me half the fun of Q is controlling the fire.

DKM
Just how many boards can I be on anyways.