Jerk Chicken

Started by Steve, December 05, 2016, 02:15:47 PM

Steve

I've recently been running a mix of hickory pellets, cherry pellets, and allspice berries in my smoker to approximate the smoke profile of Jamaican pimento wood. I must say that I think it's amazing. I mix the hickory/cherry pellets 50:50, then dump in a bottle (or two) of allspice berries. I use Walkerwood Jerk Marinade instead of their Jerk Seasoning, I think it works better. Fire up the smoker and smoke the chicken (marinated leg quarters) for about 5 hours at 250 degrees F. Amazing!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

jkb

I meant to get a pimento plant this spring when the temperatures became more suitable for shipping.  They were out of stock and it slipped off my radar.  In the meantime, I've got a bay laurel that needs constant trimming.  I use the branches as a bed for the chicken.  Great substitute.  I love Walkerswood.  Never tried the marinade,  just the seasoning.

Steve

I used to use their seasoning exclusively, but it can be a bit much (spice-wise). I found the marinade at Walmart and decided to give that a try. It's a thinner consistency than the seasoning, but it works very well for a 12 hour marinade.

jkb

Unfortunately, I can't find Walkerswood locally anymore.  It looks like I'll need to make it from scratch.  I'm the only one in the house that likes the heat.  Not claiming to be manly - If you punish yourself to prove something you're just an idiot.

Steve

Quote from: jkb on December 07, 2016, 09:22:11 AM
Unfortunately, I can't find Walkerswood locally anymore.  It looks like I'll need to make it from scratch.  I'm the only one in the house that likes the heat.  Not claiming to be manly - If you punish yourself to prove something you're just an idiot.

Tell me about it. My son would order Buffalo Wild Wings' "Blazin" wings to prove how manly he was. After two or three, he would be sweating, in pain, and couldn't eat any more. Meanwhile, I polished off my order of 18 "hot" wings with a smile on my face.

Jackitup

I'll have to try that Walkerswood, most jerk seasonings go wayyyyyy to overboard on the allspice clove thingy, little goes a long ways. Hickory and cherry are also my "go to" woods, I'll give the allspice berries as a smoke enhancer. Lilac is also a great bouquet wood in small amounts. As far as heat goes, I'm a chili head for sure!!!

jon

Steve

Quote from: jkb on December 07, 2016, 09:22:11 AM
Unfortunately, I can't find Walkerswood locally anymore.  It looks like I'll need to make it from scratch.  I'm the only one in the house that likes the heat.

Here's the marinade. It's a little pricey on Amazon for a single bottle ($10.49), I can get it at Walmart for $4 and change. Kroger has it for $6 and change. They have a 3-pack for $22.50 (and free Prime shipping) which equates to $7.50 per bottle, close to the Kroger price.

Single Bottle: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002D8MBY/?tag=pitcook-20

3-Pack: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CMA8SK/?tag=pitcook-20