Main Menu

Butts

Started by Randy, April 17, 2004, 02:03:49 PM

Randy

I couldn't stand it after the ribs last night.  Put twenty pounds of butts on this morning.  Salt and pepper on two and the Legg's barbecue seasoning on the other for a test.  Been on 6 hours, maybe four more hours to go before suppertime.  Pecan and Oak, No Hickory to be found around here. :(

Randy

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Steve

Quote from: Randy on April 17, 2004, 02:03:49 PM
I couldn't stand it after the ribs last night.  Put twenty pounds of butts on this morning.  Salt and pepper on two and the Legg's barbecue seasoning on the other for a test.  Been on 6 hours, maybe four more hours to go before suppertime.  Pecan and Oak, No Hickory to be found around here. :(

My butts usually take 15-18 hours to smoke (to reach 190°F).

DKM

Still have never done a pork butt.  Vast majority of my family is Adventist so never had a lot of pork.

Have wanted to do one, but don't really know what I'm looking for at the store.

DKM
Just how many boards can I be on anyways.

Randy

DKM, Boston Butt is the most common name.

Randy

Randy

Steve, I cook mine around 1 1/2 hours/# at 225-250F

Randy

DKM

Quote from: Randy on April 18, 2004, 06:58:52 AM
Notice the thick smoke ring.

Good supper last,
Froze 10 pounds.

Randy

That's it.  I gotta find one.
Just how many boards can I be on anyways.

Steve

Randy,

Do you use a dry rub?

Randy

Steve, we did a taste test this weekend on this very question.  All butts were lightly covered with yellow mustard.  Then I prepared two butts with my usual 50-50 mixture of Kosher salt and crushed black pepper.  The other one was coated with a typical rub of salt sugar chili powder and etc, a prepackaged mix from Leggs that we love on ribs.

The salt and pepper butts won easily although the other was quite tasty.  It is the black pepper I believe that accents the wood smoke flavor so well.

Randy

Randy

Another picture.  About 3/4 inch deep smoke ring.

(https://www.pitcooking.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2F216.77.188.54%2FcoDataImages%2Fp%2FGroups%2F40%2F40915%2Fpages%2F351011%2FButt1a.jpg&hash=1b6f16b8f0d53145cd260500c2b19ff103d10ba3)

Randy

arthur j

can someone help me? i need to know: how the boston butt got its name?

Randy

Never knew the answer but try here.  If you find out let us know.
http://www.otherwhitemeat.com/default.asp?m=rec

dsgnrdavid47421

First I am very glad to have found this forum.  I have been q'ing for a few years but am faced with an unusual situation.  I am smoking the meat for my sons wedding.  I plan to mainly stick with butts and turkeys.  The butts are going to be served sliced so I only plan to cook to 180-185. 

I will have to smoke them about 2-3 days before serving and then reheat at the reception.  I will not be able to take a smoker with me so I will I will have to reheat in the oven.

My plan is to smoke , let cool, wrap whole in saran wrap and foil, refrigerate, then the day before slice and tray the meat, cover in foil, and reheat in oven...maybe 250-300 with a sprinkle of sauce on meat.

I would love to serve right off the smoker....but thee will be about 300 people there and big smokers dont mix with the tux I have to wear.

I would appreciate any suggestions you pit masters might have

thanks a ton

David

Randy

David I am afraid you are out of my league but realize the quanties you are talking about.  This is a very large catering job requiring considerable resorces.  300 people is a big job.
Here is the only information I have for feeding large groups.
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/b1039-w.html

Randy

dsgnrdavid47421

Thanks for the information, but I am only doing the meat for this and I can cook up to 200lbs per run in my smoker.  I am more concerned in the reheating aspect as far as flavor and texture then the overall logistics. All I have to do is deliver the meat in foil serving pans to the site with reheating instructions.   I have several friends and family to set up an assembly line for rub, inject, etc.  The link was helpfull however.

Thanks again

David

Randy

David, glad the link helped and to find out you have the help you need.
here are some more thoughts.
Consider freezing if more than 2 days between barbecuing and reheating
At least to me the longer you smoke butts the better they reheat.
Reheat the butts as slow as practical.  To give you and idea of how slow we use double size crock pots set on high until warm started 2 hours in advance for our family gatherings.
To prevent cross contamination I would do the tyrkeys on another day from the butts.
The following sauce is what I use to reheat butts.  I sprinkle the following on the meat to add moisture,  I use a seperate sauce for topping the barbecue.

½  cup yellow mustard
1 cups apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
½  cup light brown sugar
¼  teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Tabasco Chipotle sauce
1 tablespoon honey

Note: Mix and use no cooking needed.  Gets better with age.