Main Menu

Butts

Started by Randy, April 17, 2004, 02:03:49 PM

dsgnrdavid47421

Thanks for the sauce. I am making a test cook tomorrow....just rubbed that beautiful butt down and wrapped her up for the night.   Will inject and smoke tomorrow.  I will try and post a few pics of the finished product

You Rock

David

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Randy

Looking foward to the pictures.

Randy

dsgnrdavid47421

I am trying to post but file size is too big
I added them to my yahoo photo album...the name is the same or if you want I could e-mail them to you

David

Randy

I looked in yahoo under your id but I did not see your pictures

Randy

dsgnrdavid47421

sorry, forgot to activate picture link on profile 

Fixed it now

Steve

Doing two butts today, one with my usual rub, the other with Randy's mustard, salt & pepper rub. We'll see how it turns out!

Steve

Randy,

I tried your yellow mustard "rub" with salt and pepper. It was quite delicious, it was much sweeter than my usual rub... not sure why that is the case. Thanks for the suggestion.  :)

Randy

I am glad you enjoyed the salt and pepper rub.  I think what you are tasting is the flavors pulled to the surface by that salt since no sugar is used exceppt for the tiny bit in the thin coat of yellow mustard.  I use a thin coat of mustard on my ribs but I use a rub from penzeys now after experimenting with a few others.  The legs is good tto but the galena street rub from Penzey's tops my list now. 
Might do ribs soon if the weather holds.  By the way I am having very good results by keeping a big pan of Mott's Natural juice in the smoker with the meat.  That is the down side of of a wood burner, low humidty.
Did you have any pictures?
Randy

dsgnrdavid47421

Good news!  I am going to do pulled instead of sliced.  I saw you mention earlier about freezing the pork.  What details can you shed on this.  How long can you freeze, how to reheat, etc.

Thanks

David

Steve

Here's how I freeze my butts:

Smoke the butts until done. Remove from smoker and allow to cool to room temperature. Once cool, remove the bone by pulling/twisting it out. It should come out cleanly and easily if the butt has been cooked properly (I do mine to 180 degrees F.) Put the butt into a large vacuum sealer bag and vacuum seal. Freeze for up to 6 months.

To use, allow to defost in the refrigerator for a day (or two). Reheat by placing the still-sealed bag in a pot of simmering water. Simmer for about an hour until the butt comes back up to temperature. Remove from bag and prepare as usual.

Some notes: Do not remove any of the fat prior to vacuum sealing... leave the whole butt intact except for the bone. By simmering the butt in water, you are ensuring that the butt will not overheat... remember, water boils at 212 degrees F. and will remain at that temperature until all of the water boils off. So simmering in water ensures that the butt will never go above 212 degrees which is a lower temperature than you smoke the meat (most people smoke their butts at 225-250 degrees F.)

Randy

Remember to practice.  Use your friends as test subjects and ask for an honest evaluation.  Try exactly what you intend on doing don't skip the freezing.  Go to the place where the meat will be severed and see what equipment is available for reheating.
Reheat and serve as you have planned.  Use the yellow sauce I posted earlier in this post at about 2 tablespoons per pound.

Best of luck.
Practice

Randy