Pork Picnic Season!

Started by Bill/SFNM, December 07, 2016, 07:19:04 AM

Bill/SFNM

Around here, this is the time of year that pork picnics (the lower part of the shoulder) go on sale, primarily for tamales. Most supermarkets will have a display case with picnics, cushion roasts, masa, manteca (lard), corn husks, dried chiles, etc. I picked up one yesterday that I will cook in my pit over the weekend. Usually I just give it some salt and pepper and slow smoke it for pulled pork sandwiches. But I'm going to try something new. Stay tuned.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Waynesize

I think I smoked a picnic a loooooong time ago.  I always go with the butt. I am eager to see what you do with the picnic.
Wayne

jkb

Sales in my part of NY run 10:1 picnic vs. butt.  Usually $1.29/lb or less.  FWIW, other than whole hog, I'm not a fan of bbq pork.

Bill/SFNM

Big picnics are my preferred cut, but not always available. These were $.99/lb. If you put a gun to my head, I'd take pork over beef, but the gun would have to be loaded.

Jackitup

Waiting to see what's in your pocket!! And if I had to pick.......given the moment it's all up for grabs chicken, beef, pork, done right goat is freaking awesome, fish, soooo much to choose from ;D

jon

Bill/SFNM

Jon,

Never able to muster up much love for goat - haven't had it years. Perhaps it is time to give it another chance and then kick myself for avoiding it for so long.

Regarding picnic vs. butt, here is my take: there is more fat in butt - that is a good thing for moisture and flavor. But there is more connective tissue in picnic and when it finally breaks down, it can be more moist and flavorful. Picnic is less forgiving and is easier to overcook, but has a better texture when perfectly smoked. That's why I prefer it.

Jackitup

Quote from: Bill/SFNM on December 07, 2016, 11:51:53 PM
Jon,

Never able to muster up much love for goat - haven't had it years. Perhaps it is time to give it another chance and then kick myself for avoiding it for so long.

Regarding picnic vs. butt, here is my take: there is more fat in butt - that is a good thing for moisture and flavor. But there is more connective tissue in picnic and when it finally breaks down, it can be more moist and flavorful. Picnic is less forgiving and is easier to overcook, but has a better texture when perfectly smoked. That's why I prefer it.

I agree with your reasoning, it's more like a pork shank with the connective tissue/collagen thing and a perfectly done pork shank is a beautiful thing to have in your mouth!!! Exploring a side meat item for Christmas. Lasagna is one and I said I would do the meat. Butt, spareribs, pot roast, pork loin, about 25% would go for bear if I made it......so many choices, what's a guy to do ??? :D Last year was prime rib but shooting lower this year!

Jackitup

Ps.......young goat is best according to many of my goat loving friends. Muslims I've know over the years, and others say to get young goats before puberty to get a milder meat. I don't mind older ones either, just a bit gamier like mutton or that big old buck in rut!

Bill/SFNM

This is now wrapped up in the fridge and will be popped in the pit early tomorrow AM.

Steve

Looks great, can't wait to see the "after" photo.

Bill/SFNM

Quote from: Steve on December 09, 2016, 01:11:14 PM
Looks great, can't wait to see the "after" photo.

The "after" is a bone picked clean and some grease stains.

Bill/SFNM

Resting:

Bill/SFNM

Not bad, but ...

This is an Argentine recipe. Argentina deserves great credit for magic with beef and fire. But pork???? I'm not so sure. The meal was tasty, but give me Eastern Carolina-style BBQ any day. Any day!

Jackitup

Steve

Quote from: Bill/SFNM on December 10, 2016, 02:29:27 PM
give me Eastern Carolina-style BBQ any day. Any day!

Amen, brother!