Pork Picnic Season!

Started by Bill/SFNM, December 07, 2016, 07:19:04 AM

Bill/SFNM

Steve,

Although it's called "E. Carolina" style, my method since 1996 is from the late Ryland Motley of Deep Creek Chesapeake, VA. Heard of him?

Steve

Quote from: Bill/SFNM on December 10, 2016, 08:47:41 PM
Steve,

Although it's called "E. Carolina" style, my method since 1996 is from the late Ryland Motley of Deep Creek Chesapeake, VA. Heard of him?

No, can't say that I have. Tell me more about his style.

Bill/SFNM

Smoke "nekkid", chop/sauce while hot, refrigerate overnight, gently reheat, serve on squishy white toasted buns. Very precise ratios of sauce/meat. Sauce: cider vinegar, ground black pepper, cayenne, salt. Particularly convenient for smoking the previous day.   He sold a 60-page booklet many years ago which is just an incredibly long, self-promotional rant that is basically a single recipe that is really good.

Steve

Quote from: Bill/SFNM on December 10, 2016, 10:37:47 PM
Smoke "nekkid", chop/sauce while hot, refrigerate overnight, gently reheat, serve on squishy white toasted buns. Very precise ratios of sauce/meat. Sauce: cider vinegar, ground black pepper, cayenne, salt. Particularly convenient for smoking the previous day.   He sold a 60-page booklet many years ago which is just an incredibly long, self-promotional rant that is basically a single recipe that is really good.

Sounds great, I'd love to see his recipe.  :)

Steve

Bill/SFNM

Quote from: Steve on December 10, 2016, 10:50:19 PM
Actually, it was easy to find:

http://dotclue.org/recipe/ryland-motleys-eastern-north-carolina-bbq-sauce

http://bbqguide.com/bestpork.php

Thanks!

Forgot to mention cole slaw on the sandwich. I forget what Ryland recommended, but lately I've been using lacto-fermented cabbage as the base. Wow! I'll post next time I make it.

Steve

Quote from: Bill/SFNM on December 11, 2016, 01:30:03 AM
Forgot to mention cole slaw on the sandwich. I forget what Ryland recommended, but lately I've been using lacto-fermented cabbage as the base. Wow! I'll post next time I make it.

Here's my favorite slaw recipe:

https://www.pitcooking.com/forum/index.php?topic=13.0

TXCraig1

Butterflied so that you can cook with burning wood (as opposed to coals) and not get overly black and smoky.
Perhaps you and Larry will join us for the consumption of mass quantities this weekend. We will ignite our new flame pit and char some mammal flesh for you.
- Prymatt Conehead

TXCraig1

Homemade sourdough of course.
Perhaps you and Larry will join us for the consumption of mass quantities this weekend. We will ignite our new flame pit and char some mammal flesh for you.
- Prymatt Conehead

TXCraig1

Sometimes I like like a heavy smoke too! BBQ sauce is cider vinegar, crushed tomatoes, and red pepper.
- Prymatt Conehead