Main Menu

Prime Rib

Started by Steve, December 24, 2016, 01:15:37 PM

Steve

I'm planning to use Craig's prime recipe on Monday.

Quote from: TXCraig1
I like to season the prime rib with salt and pepper only (some times I poke some holes in it and shove in half garlic cloves) and put it in the pit for 1 hour at ~200F then into the oven at 200F until the internal temp is 117F for rare medium rare (total time in the pit and oven will be about 3.5-4 hours for a typical prime rib). Pull it out for30 minutes while you heat your oven to 550F then back in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve immediately without any additional hold time.

Quote from: TXCraig1
Also, we like our prime rib on the rare side of medium rare. If you like yours towards the medium side of medium rare, pull it out of the oven at 120F internal.

I was lucky to find prime rib on sale at Kroger, $6.99/pound, dressed and tied. I'll post pictures of the finished product.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Steve

Phase one, in the smoker (200 degrees) for one hour.

Steve

And out of the smoker and into the oven.

Steve

And the finished product. It was delicious, thanks for the recipe Craig, loved the hint of smoke.

TXCraig1

That looks awesome. I'm totally craving prime rib now!
Perhaps you and Larry will join us for the consumption of mass quantities this weekend. We will ignite our new flame pit and char some mammal flesh for you.
- Prymatt Conehead

DKM

Damn, that looks good.  A lot of people did prime rib this year thanks to Kroger.

Mom did hers in the oven though...
Just how many boards can I be on anyways.

Randy1

I was going back through old threads and found this one.  I too bought a Kroger whole ribeye.  I did mine on a rotisserie.  I build this just by stacking fire bricks.  I thought I had a picture of the cooking but could not find it.  here is a picture of though of the Thanksgiving turkey.