Anyone tried beef cheek??

Started by Jackie Tran, May 09, 2017, 09:25:00 PM

Jackie Tran

Saw some beef cheek at Sam's Club and was really curious about it.  The meat looks well marbled and dark red.  A quick Google search shows that they smoke up really well.  I would imagine it having a beefier flavor and really tender if slow smoke.  I bet it would make some great burgers as well.  I have a whole packer brisket in the fridge waiting to be smoked, otherwise I would've picked one up.  And at $2/lb, I was really tempted. 

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

TXCraig1

I use it to make barbacoa tacos. It's very beefy. There is a post on it in the tacos thread at PMC.
Perhaps you and Larry will join us for the consumption of mass quantities this weekend. We will ignite our new flame pit and char some mammal flesh for you.
- Prymatt Conehead

Bill/SFNM

Chau,

In addition to traditional barbacoa treatment, I like to do the following as an appetizer adapted from a Tim Byres recipe:

1. Rub with chile cure (Byres Coffee cure especially good)
2. Smoke @ 225F for 3 hours
3. SV @ 160F until tender (at least 24 hours)
4. Shred and mix with red onion marmalade (again, Byres recipe).
5. Serve as appetizer on Tartine toast wedges.

Jackie Tran

Thank you for the ideas Craig and Bill.  I'd like to compare it to brisket flat for burgers as well as slow smoke it.  Maybe braise it for one of my favorite dishes,  Vietnamese Bo Kho (beef stew).

A D V E R T I S E M E N T