Main Menu

Spare Ribs

Started by TXCraig1, May 25, 2017, 11:47:59 AM

TXCraig1

These are about 8 hour ribs.
Perhaps you and Larry will join us for the consumption of mass quantities this weekend. We will ignite our new flame pit and char some mammal flesh for you.
- Prymatt Conehead

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Randy1

Eight hours, you must have foiled them.  Look really good.  No thick skin best I can tell.

TXCraig1

Nope. I never use foil for ribs or brisket - just temperature and airflow control. I tend to smoke a lot lower than most.
Perhaps you and Larry will join us for the consumption of mass quantities this weekend. We will ignite our new flame pit and char some mammal flesh for you.
- Prymatt Conehead

Randy1

Not a foil fan either but even at 225F, four hours is a long as I can go before the ribs decline in quality.  Your ribs look good at eight hours.

What temperature do you use?

TXCraig1

Generally in the 175-225F range but most of the time is well below 225F. Those two racks were made in a pit without a thermometer.
- Prymatt Conehead

Steve

I'm about to smoke up some pork back ribs on Sunday. Will you share your recipe?

TXCraig1

I'm not real particular about what I put on them. Often it's straight Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Sometimes it's half that and half Tex Joy Special BBQ Seasoning. I point the thick end towards the fire and smoke until the feel right when I torque a bone and droop right when I lift them up. Usually about 6-8 hours depending on the temp.
- Prymatt Conehead

Jackie Tran

My last rack took 9 hours at temps between 200-225f.  One of the best racks I've done if not the best so far.  I was surprised at how long it took.  Glad to see that's not super unusual.

Randy1

I looked in my cabinet and pantry before doing a set of spares.  I had three different rubs.  Two were homemade, and one, store bought.  I dumped all three together.  It was my best ribs ever.  I have no idea how to remake it.  I used the last of it on the last set.

Steve

I smoked three slabs of pork back ribs for 6 hours at 225F., they still needed to go longer because the meat wasn't fall-off-the-bone tender like I wanted. I think the thermostat on my smoker is off by 5-10 degrees.  :-\