My first Smoke-Minnesota style...in the cold

Started by JameZ, April 26, 2004, 06:21:41 PM

JameZ

This was my first attempt at smokin'. And I thought it turned out pretty good.
I smoked a 8.5 pound Boston Butt. I took and gave it a rub the night before.
I used:
2 TBSP KOESHER SALT
2 TBSP LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
3 TBSP SUGAR
1 TBSP BLACK PEPPER
1/2 TBSP GROUND CAYENNE PEPPER
1 TBSP CUMIN
3 TBSP PAPRIKA

I let it sit overnight for about 10 hours in a bag in the frig.
Started smokin' at 7:30am. Soaked my Jack Daniels chips and used the water in the bowl, plus kicked it up with an additional shot of Jack each time. Had to replace water and chips every 4-5 hours. Let smoke until 9pm, but it still didn't reach 190...it was close at 180...so I had too many people waiting so I finished it off in the oven for about 30-45 min. at 400. Finally ate at around 10pm!!!!
What a long day...but well worth it. I think my problem was that when I started it was pretty cold...39 degrees...so it took awhile to get goin'. I'll try again when it's warmer out. It's just a matter a time.
I topped it of with a Jack Daniels BBQ sauce:
1/2 RED ONION
4 CLOVES GARLIC
1/4 CUP JACK DANIELS
SAUTEE
2 CUPS KETCHUP
1/3 CUP CIDER VINEGAR
1/4 CUP WORCESTERCHIRE
1/2 CUP LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
3/4 MOLASSES
1/4 TOMATOE PASTE
1 TSP BLACK PEPPER
1 TSP KOESHER SALT
2 TSP LIQUID SMOKE
1 TSP TABASCO
Simmer & Reduce
Here are some pics of the almost done Butt!!!!!
Thanks again guys for all your info & help.
And let's keep this great goup going.

Keep it smokin' boyZ

JameZ

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Randy

Jame my Dad used to put a big carboard box around his in cold weather.  It really made a difference.  It looks like you are on your way with a great meal.
180 deg is real good for slicing very thin.  Sony's barbecue slices it that way.

Keep it up.

Randy

Foccaciaman

JameZ and I were talking offline and wondered about injecting a Pork Butt. Possibly with Jack D or a Jack D sauce or who knows what else.

Is this done often or ever?

Has anyone done it and what was the result?

Bingo >:D

JameZ

I would inject it with Jack Daniels, but my wife would kill me...she loves the smoked piggy's too, just not that kicked up!!!

Keep on Smokin'

JameZ

Randy

I'm a pure and natural smoke baebecuer myself, but many a butt has been injected on the contest circuit I have read.

Randy

A D V E R T I S E M E N T