Beer-Can Chicken

Started by JameZ, April 26, 2004, 08:07:49 PM

JameZ

I will be making BBQ Chicken Beer-Can style tommorow night. Pray for me boyz...it is still a little cold here in the great north of Minnesota. But it should be warm enough. I will post pics tommorow night or wednsday night.
Later...

Keep it Smokin'

JameZ

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Randy

Here is my last rosted chicken cooked at 350F on my barbecue pit.
Randy

Foccaciaman

Ok here comes another one of those naive questions.

When you roasted that chicken was it just smoked or just like grilled at 350? For how long?
The reason I ask is, how deep does the smokey flavor get into the chicken?

Sorry never had a pit only a grill. :'(

Bingo >:D

Randy

I place the chicken or turkey in the vertical section of my smoker. ( check the thread under equipment to see my brick barbecue pit.   At 350 the smoke flavor is very light and the skin becomes crisp. Inside is celery tops a few slices of lemon, orange and onion.

A standard weber charcoal grill can produce excelant results for chicken.

Randy

JameZ

Nice lookin' bird Randy. I think next time I will smoke the bird.
I just cooked it in the oven tonight. Although I did inject it with a mixture of:
1/2 CUP Apple Juice
1/4 CUP Jack Daniels
1 TSP Liquid Hickory Smoke
I also put that concoction in the can as well.
Lubed it up with only EVOO & baked@350 for 90min.
Pretty tasty & very moist & tender!!!

Should of Smoked it

JameZ

Randy

Jame here is Weber grills version
Beer Can Chicken with Rosemary and Thyme

Indirect/Medium

Rub
1  teaspoon kosher salt
1  teaspoon paprika
1  teaspoon dried thyme
1/2  teaspoon lemon zest
1/2  teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1  whole chicken, about 4 pounds
2  teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1  can (12 ounces) beer, at room temperature 
2  sprigs fresh rosemary
1  clove garlic, crushed
  Juice of 1 lemon
1  teaspoon dried thyme
1/2  teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

To make the rub: In a small bowl mix together all the rub ingredients.

Remove and discard the neck and giblets and any excess fat from the chicken. Lightly rub the chicken all over with the oil. Season the chicken inside and out with the rub.

Open the beer can and pour out about half the beer. Using a can opener, make 2 more holes in the top of the can. Place the beer can on a solid surface. Plunk the chicken cavity over the beer can.

Transfer the bird-on-a-can to the grill, balancing the bird on its two legs and the can, like a tripod. Tuck the tips of the wings behind the chicken's back. Grill the chicken over Indirect Medium heat until the juices run clear and the internal temperature registers 170º F in the breasts and 180º F in the thickest part of the thigh, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Carefully remove the chicken and can from the grill; do not spill contents of beer can, as it will be very hot. Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before lifting from the beer can and cutting into serving pieces. Serve warm.

bob

I did one yesterday afternoon that turned out pretty damn good.  I stuffed the inside with rosemary sprigs and celery tops.  I added some white wine and cajun spices to the beer and did the standard oil and rub on the outside.

1 1/2 hours at 300 did the trick with a crispy exterior and juicy flavorful meat.  Sorry no pix........

Bob

bob

I've got a 3 1/2 one already injected with creole butter sitting in the fridge for the past two days.  On to the grill tonight and I;ll try and shoot pix.

CarlBielenberg77

I've done this recipe using turkey for two Thankgivings and one Christmas dinner. It's been a huge home run every time. No need to carve the bird because it all just falls right off the bone.

For a rub I just used a basic store bought rub.