Cold smker from hot smkr

Started by Foccaciaman, May 24, 2004, 05:28:16 PM

Foccaciaman

I was sitting on my deck staring at my new electric smoker, having a cigar, thinking about how to build my cold smoker for cheese then whammmo it came to me... ;D

This week I am going to bring the lid to my smker down to a local welding company that I know and have them make me a new cover with and exhaust attachment on it.
I will pick up the piece at the local hardware tommorow with about 8 to 10 ft of dryer hose.
Start smoker
put lid on
atttach hose
smoke will cool down through 8 ft of travel as I am told in my readings on cold smokers.
other end will be attached to any box I see fit with a drop in old grill grate in it.
Small oven exhaust fan (the old one from the one I just ripped out in my kitchen) will be attached to another hose on said box creating suction to pull smoke from the smoker through the tube and funneled out.
from what I have seen this is all that a cold smoker is anyway. so now with minor adjustment I get to use my electric smoker to generate the smoke anyway.
Any Comments?????
Suggestions welcome Please....

Bingo >:D

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Steve

Sounds like a good idea  ^-^

Just remember that cold smoking must be done at a temperature of  80-90°F.

Foccaciaman

I thought about temp also. I can't remember what I heard before about the length of the hose for smoke travel time to cool down, but I may have to introduce a couple of air holes in the tube to add colder air to the mix.
It will be an interesting experiment though.
I will keep you posted.....

Bingo >:D

Randy

Alton Brown on Good Eats did a show on cold smoking.

Randy

Foccaciaman

I'll have to watch for that one. Thanks :)

Bingo  >:D

A D V E R T I S E M E N T