The french fry

Started by Randy, May 28, 2004, 04:03:31 PM

Lydia

oops!

Looks like I forgot to finish my dissertation on Fries. I put it my list of things to complete.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

DKM

Yes Please!  I'm doing some today so can't wait to see how that goes!

DKM
Just how many boards can I be on anyways.

Lydia

Since your making fries today, I will skip to what I believe is one of the most crucial steps for great fries.

Salting.

Have you ever noticed that regular salt just doesn't quite do the job? It's too crunchy or just end up with a heap of salt under the fries?

Mc.D's uses Crystal Diamond Nut and Popcorn salt. It's ultra-fine powdered table salt with a anti-caking agent.
This salt allows for an light even coating whereas the larger granules are heavy and tend to just roll off, if your lucky a few stick and you might get a salty punch every few bites.

For the final frying, each batch of fries should be salted immediately after removing from the oil, to allow the salt to adhere properly (regular or ultra-fine).  I should warn you that when using the fine salt that it's very easy to over-salt until you get used to how effiently this salt does it's job.

Since microwave popcorn dominates the market, this salt is barely stocked by grocers, so until you find someone who stocks it, you may need to use your handy-dandy coffee or spice grinder and put it into a shaker with fine holes. Keep in mind, that there is no anti-caking element and you may find sprinkling with your fingers to be more hassel-free method.

Either way, just be sure to let it settle before removing the lid on the grinder.

DKM

You know I was making popcorn the other night and thought the popcorn salt would be great for fries.

I'll use it next time.

DKM
Just how many boards can I be on anyways.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T