More Pics of AppleJack Pork Butt

Started by JameZ, May 29, 2004, 12:15:11 PM

JameZ

After I opened up the tin foil...it just melted like butter...
    :)  :D :) :D :) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

JameZ

Randy

Jame I have a few pointers if you would be interested.

Randy

JameZ

I'm interested Randy...that's why I'm a member of this group. This is only my second Pork Butt attempt, so with advice & alot of trial & error I will eventually get it perfected...so any & all pointers are welcomed.

Keep it Smokin'

JameZ

Randy

For one of your first your learning fast.
I would suggest you look for another source of meat from the pictures although I can't be completely sure. The meat should not be stringy The weight of the butt is a bit high and may have come from a large boar that had been around for a while in the breading pens.  Look for as lean of meat as you can find and below 8 pounds. 
Figure on 1.5 hours per pound cooking time at 225- 250F.  Get you a small button meat thermometer. 
Slicing stage 165
Pull stage 185
Chopped stage 195
I barbecue my butts to 195
For your smoker.
One of the most handy things I have and cheap is a thermometer for frying turkeys.  Get you one and drill a small hole in the side of your smoker at a place where you could stick it in and read the temperature at the meat level but not above the meat.

Hope this helps.

Randy

JameZ

Thanks for the honest input. I get my Pork Butts in Cryopaks, two in a pack, at Sam's Club (sister store to Walmart for bulk buys) for about $1.38lb. which is real cheap!! The local Butcher doesn't really carry Pork Butts, but can order them for I think $2.29lb, I thought that was kind of strange. Maybe I'll try another town & check around. What should I exactly ask for?
Thanks for the info on the temps though...my Butt reached 202 when I finally took it out.
That sounds like a great idea though...I'll look into getting one of those thermometers.
Thanks again Randy for the honesty & advice...that's what we're all here for...right?

Keep  it Smokin'

JameZ

Randy

Sam's, that was my guess  when I saw the picture.  Don't feel bad I bought some from there and got exactly the same results a few years back.   Good barbecue starts with good meat.  We quit buying meat from Sam's a couple of years ago when we bought a pack of ground beef that looked good on the outside but was nothing but gray fat below the top meat .  Their ribs can also be bad.  Sam's I think only deals in the third grading from the top called select.

I did worry about being so critical but I knew you wanted to make the best Q in town and you are on your way.
Now kick some Butt!
8)
Randy