Doing my 2nd pork butt

Started by DKM, July 21, 2004, 12:41:56 PM

DKM

Hope it turns out, having some people that know what pork should taste like come over to help.

DKM
Just how many boards can I be on anyways.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Randy

Do it just like a brisket.  figure 1 1/2 hours per pound at 250 degF. 

You teach me how to do a brisket and I will help you with the pork butt. ;D

Randy

DKM

Works for me.  :)

First, go buy a brisket.....  ;D

DKM

Alright pictures this time.

Here it is just out of an all night brine of vegetable broth and below with a light layer of mustard kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.

DKM

DKM

It was just over 6.5# and was in the smoker for just over 8 hours at 250 F and reached an internal temp of 200 F.

No mistaking why it is called pulled pork.  It fell apart in my hands.

DKM

DKM

Ready to eat, topped with a new and simple bbq sauce I made.

It got really good reviews.  In fact one neighbor is ready for me to teacher how to do make it.

DKM

Randy

It sure looks good.  Nice color and texture. 
Not sure about the brine, next time try it without the brine and let the wood smoke be the primary flavor.
Great job.
Randy

DKM

I'll be trying it different ways, when I do them.  I'm not a big pork eater since my family is Adventist and I wasn't raised eating it (I'm not adventist and do eat some, just not much)

Steve

Usually 190 degrees is considered "pullable". Man that sure looks good!!

DKM

I read that before and would have pulled it at 190 or more but it was done a little quicker then I thought.

DKM

Randy

Pulled pork gets a lot of press but the majority of barbecue joints serve chopped outside of NC.  Pulled pork will be shinny from the remaining fat.  One of the most interesting things about butts is relationship between time in the smoker versus reheat ability of the meat.  Taking the meat out at say 185  may make it difficult to reheat barbecue pork without a bit of an off flavor.  Past 195 and the problem is greatly reduced this assumes you are barbecuing at a temp at or below 250degF.
Although dryer, butts cooked longer have  a better deeper smoke flavor.

As always this is a personal choice and no I sure would not turn down a fresh smoked pulled sandwich. I thought people might find it interesting if they have problems getting a good flavor when reheated.

Randy