Reheating pork butt

Started by Randy, August 27, 2004, 04:35:45 PM

Randy

I reheat chopped barbecue butt straight from the freezer into a double boiler.  To rejuvenate it I add about 2 tablespoons to the pound of the following barbecue sauce after it thaws out.
If I need to prepare more then I let it defrost first then place it in a crock pot.
The real secret to reheated barbecue is the length of time it is smoked; to short of time and reheated barbecue will have an off taste.

Randy
Mustard Vinegar Based Barbecue Sauce

1 cup yellow mustard
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon honey

Note: gets better with age.  No cooking necessary

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

DKM

When I did my pork butt, I would thaw it in the fidge and reheat in a pan on the stove over medium heat with just a drop of water.  Since mine got smoke the entire time I had a real good flavor.  Guess I need to do that again sometime.

DKM
Just how many boards can I be on anyways.

Steve

I'll be taking a fully smoked frozen vacuum-sealed butt (whole) to a friends house this weekend. I'm glad that you brought up this subject because I'll need to thaw and reheat it.

How about thawing in the fridge, wrapping with foil, then baking at 300 for an hour?  ???

Randy

Steve if those bags can be boiled then I would put the bag in boiling water.  Pork seems to reheat better at lower temperatures.

Randy

Steve

That's a great idea... yes, the vacuum sealer bags can be boiled.

The nice thing about vacuum sealed bags is that it squeezes the juices back into the meat.

Randy

Great!  I reread your post and had missed that it is a whole butt but it still should work, just will take longer I would think.  Should be tasty.

When we barbecue several butts at once, we chop the barbecue and remove as much fat as practical while it is still warm, then bag it into one pound freezer bags flattened so they will freeze quickly. 

Let us know how it turned out.

Randy

Randy

How did the reheated barbecue turn out Steve?

Randy

Steve

The pork butt was smoked, then allowed to cool down to room temperature. Then, it was vacuum sealed whole (with fat and bone still intact) and frozen. It stayed frozen for about two weeks, then it was allowed to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then, the butt was boiled/simmered for about 45 minutes still inside the vacuum sealed bag.

The butt was amazing. It was just as good, if not better, than straight out of the smoker. I think that the vacuum sealer actually pressed the juices back into the meat because it was very moist and tender.  8)

From now on, I plan to smoke up four butts at a time (Sam's Club sells them two to a pack) then I'll vacuum seal and freeze them for those times when I don't have time to smoke them fresh.

Thanks for the idea, Randy!

Randy

We use the zip lock bags but the vacuum bag deal sounds like a real good idea so thank you back.
8)
Randy